Wednesday 24 September 2014

Try it, you might like it.

Hello again,



I surprised myself this week when working on a jewellery project. It goes to show that you shouldn't say that you don't like something until you have tried it. I've seen Kumihimo braids used many times on Jewellery Maker and on images on the internet but always thought that it wasn't for me.
 
I'd been busy making some Tree of Life pendants and didn't want to suspend them on single cords like I have done in the past but also didn't want to make wire torques for them. I remembered that I had a Kumihimo disk stashed away that I had never used and decided to give it a go.
 
If you haven't heard of Kumihimo it's a traditional Japanese technique of braiding strands of silk to create coloured cords. The technique has been brought bang up to date and easy to do with the addition of the disks and boards that are now available and the various different things you can braid, such as cord, ribbon, beading thread etc. which will all give a different finished result.
 
There are many variations of patterns but a great way to learn out more about the techniques are the DVD's that are available from Jewellery Maker. An Introduction to Kumihimo, and Kumihimo Editition 2 are currently available and there are loads of videos available to watch on Jewellery Makers You Tube channel.
 
So, how did the Tree of Life pendant turn out in the end?
 
 
Rather well, I thought. It is very satisfying to look at a piece of jewellery knowing that you have not only created the feature pendant, but the braid to suspend it and the clasps that hold it all together.
I'll definitely be incorporating this technique into my designs again and hope this has inspired you to give it a try.
 
Thanks for reading.
 
Wendy.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment